My art has brought me a lot of good days and fond memories that I will never forget. Art has been the thing that got me through some tough times in my childhood, and it allowed me to become familiar with who I am. As a product of the Alabama foster care system, I had very little knowledge of my heritage. My own identity was revealed to me through my art. I published an autobiography in 2014 titled "WHO AM I?" It's available on my publisher's website. (www.esquirepublications.com/onicasgaddis)
My passion for art was very strong at a young age. I would always have a drawing to show on any given day. Later I would discover the Alabama Art Colony and my obsession with art turned to painting. Sarah Carlisle Towery, the colony's namesake, was 90 years old when I met her and this amazing group of artists. She taught me to allow the painting to tell me what it wants to be. Sarah Towery was a student of Hans Hofmann and Joseph Albers. I was blessed to have had the chance to paint with her and the artists at the colony.
I love listening to the story that builds as I am creating the painting. Art saved my life and I will always honor Art and Artists. I remember from a young age telling people that when I got older I was going to be an artist, even though becoming an artist was not a respected profession where I come from. Later in life I realized that I AM an artist, my life is art. It is not something I am trying to become. I am 42 years old now and it feels good to sit down and share a few thoughts on how I feel about being an artist.
Please visit my website and go through each collection to see how my work has evolved over 21 years of painting. From my "Early Work" of drawing portraits in pencil and charcoal, to my "Search For Identity I&II", to "Spiritual Expressionism", which is what I call my present work.
I am so honored to be a part of OCAG and to show my work in a group of extremely talented artists.
List of paintings:
1) "Gold" acrylic on canvas, 48x60, 2018, not available
2) "Lover's Of The Light" acrylic on canvas, 30x40, 2017, not available
3) "The Size Of My Heart" acrylic on canvas. 15ftx10ft, 2016, available for purchase, (POR)
4) "Bedtime Stories" acrylic on canvas, 48x60, 2015, not available
5) "A Mother's Love" acrylic on canvas, 24x36, 2014, not available
6) "I Shall Fear No Evil" acrylic on canvas, 48x60, 2016, not available
7) "True Beauty Is On The Inside" acrylic on wood panel, 48x80, 2014, available for purchase, (POR)
8) "Onicasso" acrylic on wood panel, 80x48, 2017, not available
9) "She's My Pot Of Gold" acrylic on canvas, 40x40, 2015, not available